Do you know about the Morris Animal Foundation Golden Retriever Lifetime Study? They are looking for purebred Goldens, 2yo and under, in hopes of better understanding the causes of canine cancer and how to prevent it. The dogs don’t have to do anything but go to the vet once a year, and have blood drawn, nails clipped, and some hair trimmed. Enrolling is easy, and your vet is welcome to enroll as a participating vet also. There’s even an annual stipend from the Foundation that helps offset the vet visit costs! Click on our hyperlink to the Morris Animal Foundation for more information!
There’s an almost infinite amount of information on the Internet regarding Golden Retrievers, rescue groups and the health of your dog. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Golden Retriever Club of America (information on the breed, health and education, breed history and much more)
- Our Pets For Life (Humane Society of the United States website)
- Veterinary Partner.com (a helpful site with health information)
- Merck Veterinary Manual (Merck website with detailed medical information)
- American Heartworm Society (information on this serious issue for dogs, and ways that you can prevent heartworm in your own pet)
- Land of Pure Gold Cancer Fund
- Dog Law (though it does not focus on Indiana law, this site has quite a bit of basic information on legal matters, particularly ideas for planning with your attorney for your dog in the event of your death or extreme disability)
- Goldstock (a non profit that provides funding for medical care of Goldens through grants and also maintains current research information on its site regarding cancer in Goldens)
- Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (a site which provided detailed information about canine health, diseases, ongoing research and much more).
- Golden Retriever Club of American National Rescue List (GRRACE adopts Goldens to Indiana residents; if you are not a resident of Indiana, click here for a state by state listing of Golden Retriever rescue groups)
- White River Golden Retriever Club is an Indianapolis Golden Retriever Club.
- MyApartmentMap (information on apartments in your area that allow pets; remember: golden retrievers need PLENTY of exercise, so be certain there is also a park nearby!)
We’ll update these from time to time, so keep checking back!